Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Memories .. we all have a few .. "The Window in the Barn"



The Window in the Barn ... 

It's amazing how images..photos spark memories buried in our minds and bring them back to life and allow us to relive those times long ago as though they are today. 

These images of Barn Windows sparked a memory from long ago for me... when I was a wee bit of 7 yrs of age we lived in a small Horse town. We had a small plot of land with a home and a barn and room enough for a few farm animals ( 1 cow, several chickens, 2 ducks, 1 pig, 2 dogs and 3 horses). 

My Dad worked a lot of hours so it left my mom in charge of the house and the garden as well as the animals and us kids. We had our chores and helped out. We had a small red barn.. my dad had shot guns for country shooting and hunting ...and had a re-loading center in the front section of the barn. Another area was for all the saddles and tack .. and a small dark back room maybe 10 x 10 ft. if that was where we kept the feed... 

Back then we would drive the truck down and buy Alfalfa Cubes at the feed store . They would use a small tractor/loader to fill the bed of the truck with cubes .. and upon returning home my mom would shovel all those cubes from the truck bed into the feed room. She was quite the young woman. I remember helping try and throw a few in by hand .. but the door was narrow and she swung that shovel with a mighty strength and she always told me to stay well back so I wouldn't get hurt.

On several occasions as she swing the shovel or had to go inside to push the cubes further back in the room, making way for more cubes ....she mentioned she wished that feed room had a window for some light .. because the mice liked to hide in that room .. and you never knew when one might take a run for it across your foot ...no less in the dark. That happened on several occasions.

Well one day I got it in my head no less at 7 yrs old that I was going to make a window for mom. So I set out to the barn .. picked up the Bale cutters which had one sharp pick style end on them .. and began banging at the wall ..I have no idea how much time had passed but enough for me to get the tiniest hole started in the wall.. when mom came looking for me... She didn't get mad at me ...I think she was shocked I had picked a hole in the barn ...I explained I was making a window for her ... I can't remember much after that other than we boarded up the hole .. and we never did put a window in that room ... I tried though. I was certain then that I could make a window just as beautiful and perfect as these barn windows below ..









 I hope you enjoyed a little memory from my life ..

Photos courtesy of Pinterest:
https://www.pinterest.com/sweetmagsfarm/barn-ology/



Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. I sure did enjoy this look back:) Have a blessed day dear friend, I hope all is well with you! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love each of those windows, especially the cat and chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your story. I grew up with a barn and animals to. What a great life. I only wished that my children and grandchildren could have enjoyed this simple hard working life to. I do share my memories. Thank you for the sweet reminder. XX Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post! I love your memory and these pictures are just precious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your sweet memory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness girls, just read through the past month which gave me a glimpse of the past year. I totally understand where you are coming from about the whole "embarrassment" thing. It's not like you girls to just be gone for no reason. I knew something was wrong and I prayed for you any time God brought you to mind. Sorry you have had to deal with all those issues but indeed they do make us stronger.

    I was just in Ozark, MO this past week spending time with my sister. I don't know if you remember or not, but I live just outside of Tulsa, OK. I am from the Ozark/Springfield area. I would give anything to move back home but my husband and kids are rooted here in Oklahoma. If you do end up back in MO, I would love to meet up with you for lunch or dessert sometime. I try to get back home more often since my parents are older. But I live right off of I-44 (Catoosa, OK which is about 10 miles east of Tulsa) which I'm sure you travel through when you go to MO. Keep in mind that my home is open to you and your family any time you need to stretch your legs or let Flossie run for awhile (fenced in back yard). I would be delighted to have you all stop by for a visit.

    So good to see you back to blogging again! I know that God will put you back to crafting, in His timing. That's hard to wait on, isn't it? I will continue praying for your situation and I hope you get to settle sometime soon. Have a delightful rest of the weekend~

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment ..We love hearing from each and every one of you. We always try to get back to you .. via a reply in the comments section or back to your e-mail address if you have it enabled ...but if We don't... please know that we appreciate you leaving your thoughts.

Many Happy Returns of the Day ..Sara of Sweet Magnolia's Farm