Friday, September 11, 2009

Perfect Spanish Rice ...Recipe

Well I don't know about everyone else ..but growing up in SO CA. you are surrounded with Mexican food on every corner...from a small hole in the wall joint ..to nice restaurants ...there is quite the variety ..and did you know that all mexican food is not the same ..Yep that's right there are varieties depending on the region in Mexico one is from.

My favorite happens to be Sonora Style ..I grew up in what used to be a small town here in CA and there was a great Sonora Style mexican food place that I frequented everyday on Lunch Hour in High School ..it was the spot to be !

Well I live about an hour from there now ..but every time I pass through I still stop in ..They just have Great food.

So ...of course ..I cook Mexican food here at home ..because well ..one can't afford to eat it out all the time ..and I pretty much got everything but the rice down ..all the packaged ones from the store ..were just way too spicy ..and most people will tell you authentic mexican food is just not that spicy ..so my meals have been riceless for a long time. Oh I searched for recipes on the net and what did I get ..nothing but spicy or clumpy or chewy or soggy rice or flavorless all together ...!!

I kept thinking o.k. you've got to be kidding ..there isn't a recipe for the rice they actually cook at all these places ..that mild rice with just the perfect flavor that keeps you coming back for another plate full ??

Well about a month ago ..Abbs was flippin channels on the Tele ..and I saw a cooking show on the Family Network and it caught my eye ..I liked the Gals looks ..but she was "NORMAL" not all hyped up and in some fake kitchen where you knew she couldn't possibly be cooking what she was cooking in the time they were showing you ..Nope this gal was doing it all on screen no hiding things from me ..which I totally admire and appreciate...Have you seen her show ... "Judy Byrd's Kitchen ?"

Well If you haven't look it up and see when it's on Because you'll love it ..She makes cooking simple with products we can actually attain at our local groceries ..and She shows you the whole process ..not just the pictures that make everything look purty !!

Anyhow ..All that to say ..on one of her episodes she made Perfect Spanish Rice ..and used some ingredients that weren't in any of the other recipes that I kept finding ..so I gave it a try ..and "IT WAS WHAT I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AND DREAMING FOR"

This is good authentic tasting Spanish Rice ..Easy to make ..and It is addicting ...!!!

I have made it twice ..and both times it worked out just like she did it on the T.V. ...

The Only thing different I did was add a little shredded cheddar on mine when I plated it ...I love the taste of cheddar on Spanish Rice...

So I thought I would share this recipe with all you out there that likes homemade ..and wants authentic taste ...I wish I had a picture to share with you all but ..I didn't think to take it when I made mine ..you know it was evening ..I was tired and just wanted dinner done ..so I could sit down and enjoy the night...!

I hope you try it the next time you have tacos or burritos or enchiladas ..its such a wonderful side !!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Perfect Spanish Rice
This is authentic Spanish rice. The secret ingredient is the tomato-flavored bouillon cube.



Yield
6 to 8 servings



Ingredients
•2 cups white rice
•3 cups chicken stock
•1 tomato-flavored bouillon cube
•2 tablespoons vegetable oil
•1 cup chopped onion
•2 teaspoons minced garlic
•1 teaspoon cumin
•2 teaspoons chili powder
•1 tablespoon salt
•½ teaspoon pepper
Directions


1.Place rice in sieve and rinse well with cold water. Set aside.
2.In a small saucepan, heat chicken stock and bouillon cube until cube is dissolved.
3.In a large saucepan with a lid, heat vegetable oil; sauté onion and garlic until tender. Add rice to pan and sauté until translucent. Stir in cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer gently 20 minutes. Uncover rice and fluff with a fork.
Tip: Rinsing is the secret to fluffy rice. It washes off the sticky starch layer.

3 comments:

  1. I'm drooling... that rice sounds fabulous. I've never bought cumin before, or ... tomato flavored bouillions but will put it on the shoppin list!
    Thanks for sharing Sara!
    I am totally loving your tea for two and hannah roses memory keeps. THEY ROCK!
    Btw... learn from me... don't cut your hair! ugg... didn't go so well today; learn from my mistakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh I can't wait to try this..we love mexican food..haven't had anything in a while..,:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, can't wait to try it, i hate lumpy sticky rice, and i hate the box kind, yuk, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment ..We love hearing from each and every one of you. We always try to get back to you .. via a reply in the comments section or back to your e-mail address if you have it enabled ...but if We don't... please know that we appreciate you leaving your thoughts.

Many Happy Returns of the Day ..Sara of Sweet Magnolia's Farm