Friday, July 17, 2009

Rest for the Weary

~ Rest for the Weary ~

This Post I am writing today is my follow up to "Binding Up the Wounds" Post that I wrote recently ..If you haven't read it ...and have the time Read it first .

In the last post I wrote about Healing ..that post was Inspired By God ...the evening after I wrote that post I gathered myself into bed and pulled out my Bible and concordance and asked God what the next step in healing is ?

My Answer came quickly as I immediately had "Rest" as the answer.

( I took this pictures recently on our Vacation to Cambria and one evening while I was "RESTING" in the adirondack chair overlooking the ocean the clouds moved into a beautiful picture that I couldn't miss out on. This clouds Parted into this most beautiful opening that the Sun shone through and glowed upon the ocean with such Beauty. I wished at that moment that my Lord would reach a hand out through those clouds that I could grasp ..And then I realized that his Glory was all around me and his handiwork was showing in this unbelievable Picture of Beauty)

I don't know about you but "REST" is a bad word in my vocabulary ...or at least it was. I come from a long line of very hardworking family of physical laborers. I grew up seeing that falling into a chair, "Dog Tired" if you will, was a positive thing. I remember more than once hearing the addage "Idle hands are the devils workshop." This wasn't a saying used as a scare tactic in our home just a spoken fact that lazing around and doing nothing for too long could lead to undesireable behaviour. And that is true.

My Last name is Vanderwork. It is of Dutch origin and means " To-Work." I cannot even begin to tell you how appropriately that name fits our family, (man or woman).

Lay aside the last name and I'm sure there are many of you that can realte to a family of hardworkers' and I'm sure you can relate to what all that hardwork can do to a person rather it's been a loved on you have watched or you are the one working endlessly without rest.

Our bodies and our minds are quite amazing. The stamina a person can have physically and mentally is mind boggling. God created an amazing system !

But as I turned in my concordance to the topic of REST I was presented with a scripture that I already knew but definitely have not practiced.

Genesis 2:2

By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he RESTED from all his work. And God blessed the seventh day and made it Holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating he had done.

I had to ask myself how many years it had been since I read "In the Beginning," and it's been a long time. It was one of those things I guess I thought I didn't need to read again as I had heard it since I was little and I knew what happened ...

All I can say is, I have learned a valuable lesson. Re-reading something just because you have heard it a dozen times or more isn't a bad idea, there are new lessons to be learned and new seasons of life in which to learn them. God can speak to us through the same scripture many times over each time in a different way.

I realized that "Who am I" to think that I am above God ? Because really that is what I have ultimately been doing.

By not RESTING, nor thinking I needed to REST, working hours upon hours passing up lunch, working through dinner, filling every waking moment with work, "Addicted to Work" I was saying I was greater than God.

In Genesis 2:2 It says that God rested from his work of creating.

"God needed a REST" ...."God needed a REST"

The Creator, The King, El Shaddai, he needed a Rest ! (Now I know that this was his way of showing us what he wanted us to do and I completely understand that. But at this moment in time where I am at God helped me to see that he even took a REST rather he needed it or no ..he clearly laid out a perfect plan and I was putting myself above it)

We are told that He created us in his image. Then if we represent him I gather following in His Footsteps isn't such a Bad Idea !!! If God RESTED from his work how much more do we need to follow his lead.

I can't remember where I gathered this tidbit of info., but did you know that while you are sleeping your body is getting a maintenance job ? It's True, while we sleep our body repairs itself all on it's own ! Remarkable Hah ! Taking that into consideration "REST" is like getting a tune up on your care or doing a disk clean-up and defrag on your computer.

If you don't take Good care and maintenance to either of these Machines they will quite Running. A car with little Brake Pads or a Computer with a Virus would both be very bad ...Then why don't we consider or value our bodies in the same way ?

With that in mind, how much more emphasis should we put on caring for our own physical and mental well being and providing ourselves with "REST" so the mind (the bodies computer) can clean up and defrag..and so the body can Tune itself up for some more mileage, and so the Soul can be refreshed !

Rest is Key in healing ...rather it's physical or Emotional healing that is needed.

I lie down and sleep

I wake again

Because

The Lord Sustains me.

Psalm 3:5

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I will Lie down and sleep

in peace,

for you alone, O Lord

Make me dwell in safety.

Psalm 4:8

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lastly I found that in one of the Beautiful Stories of the New Testament where Jesus feeds the Five Thousand, that "REST" is was an intrical and important part of this feast for the disciples. Something I have never noticed as an important part of this passage.

In Mark 6: 30-32 it reads:

The apostles gathered around Jesus and reported to Him all they had done and taught. Then because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, "come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest." So they went away by themselves in a boat to a solitary place.

Jesus knew what the disciples were going to be facing and because he knew their bodies and capabilities better than themselves, he know they needed REST. so he took them to a "Quiet" place to get REST.

Here this Miracle was going to take place and the disciples were to be part of it and Jesus knew they needed REST. And he provided REST for them. What would have happened if the diciples would have told Jesus. " No Thanks, hey were good, were not tired in the least, we can handle it, we think were strong enough and know our bodies better than you ..So Gee thanks but lets just get on with things."

Would they have grown weary and Lost out on the opputunity of a life time to not only witness a miracle, but to be part of it ?

I had to turn that scenario around and ask myself, " How many times have I turned away REST and worked until I really was completely unproductive?" Answer = ALOT. Then I had to ask, What did I miss out on ? What oppurtunities did the Lord have in store from me that I "Turned Down" because I thought I was better, knew better that God and didn't need REST like him ?

I will never know what I have lost becausee of my choice of "UNREST" but from this day forward I can choose, (it is a choice) to do better and "REST."

"REST" another step in the healing process. Start "Resting" today, and a beautiful Oppurtunity just might come your way ..and while your resting take this precious time to Grow Closer to the Lord.

Your Sister in Christ ....Sara



3 comments:

  1. I love what you wrote Sara and so true. I never realized the emphasis God placed on rest. Especially in these times of endlessly running around, God is so patient with us, I'll never understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sara,

    This was just great! Thanks so much for stopping by the Cafe yesterday and leaving a comment.

    So nice to meet you♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara your words are so beautiful.I know myself I need to listen to the lords words more also. A couple of months ago somethng hit me and I heard you need to stop and rest your body it is tried. And it was I was trying to keep up with to many selling sites and other things in my life. So I did just that I stopped and rested. And listen to what I was being told. The lord is everything in my life. And I know he was the one who told me this.
    Prim Blessings
    Chris

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment ..We love hearing from each and every one of you. We always try to get back to you .. via a reply in the comments section or back to your e-mail address if you have it enabled ...but if We don't... please know that we appreciate you leaving your thoughts.

Many Happy Returns of the Day ..Sara of Sweet Magnolia's Farm